The T3G Institute is a "bring your own device" training event. Participants must bring and be comfortable in the use of two devices: a laptop computer and a mobile device. The information below outlines the equipment and other items that you are expected to have prior to your arrival.
Laptop Computer Capabilities
You must bring a laptop computer (Macintosh, Windows, or Chromebook) capable of operating ArcGIS Online via wireless connection. Fluency in the operation of this laptop computer is required. The latest updates are required for all plug-ins.
- Administrator-level user, ability to install software and control settings
- Wireless Internet capacity (will be using wireless devices all week)
- Antivirus software with latest definitions on your machine
- An Office product—Microsoft Office or Open Office—or at least players for .doc, .xls, and .ppt files
- The latest version of at least two of the following web browsers: Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Microsoft Silverlight
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- A file compression/decompression (zip/unzip) utility
- Preview (Mac) or Paint (PC)
- Power cord/charger
- ArcGIS Online logins (e.g. used to take the Teaching with GIS course)
The following are optional but strongly recommended.
- A mouse
- Cable lock
- Flash drive
- External hardwire Ethernet dongle (if your laptop lacks an Ethernet port)
- Box account (free from www.box.com)
Smartphone or Tablet
You must bring a mobile device (smartphone or tablet, using Android, iOS, or Windows) capable of operating ArcGIS Online via wireless connection ("data plan" optional). It should be capable of operating the Esri Collector for ArcGIS app (see system requirements). We will be using the Esri Collector for ArcGIS app to collect and map data in the field.
- Up-to-date system
- US-based data plan
- Be able to access app store
- Browser(s) & document tools
- GPS (location services); GPS apps
- Esri Apps: Collector, others available
You may wish to bring one or more of the following devices. These are fun, useful, but not required.
- "Regular" camera
- Personal handheld GPS (e.g. Garmin eTrex 10)
- Extension cord to fit your chargers at night