ArcGIS Explorer 480 supports connections to enterprise geodatabases and GeoRSS feeds.
In June 2008, ArcGIS Explorer 480 became available for download. This new version of Esri's free application for accessing online content and capabilities offers many new enhancements, including data support, performance, and map display.
- ContentArcGIS Explorer now supports connections to enterprise geodatabases and Geographically Encoded Objects for RSS feeds (GeoRSS) and allows users to import GPX format data. ArcGIS Explorer default maps and layers have been updated, including enhanced topographic map services and updated streets, boundaries, and places. ArcGIS Explorer also offers improved KML/KMZ support.
- SharingArcGIS Explorer now offers direct e-mail capabilities, allowing users to easily share their maps, layers, and results with others.
- PresentationArcGIS Explorer includes more ways to control user interface elements, such as autozoom to results and automatic display of saved or e-mailed pop-up windows. Also, ArcGIS Explorer can now be embedded in a Web page.
- DashboardingAdditions to dashboarding capabilities include a new HTML-driven Quick Content task and a streamlined home server setup.
- PerformanceArcGIS Explorer provides increased display performance for all layer types. Navigation speed has also been improved.
- Map DisplayArcGIS Explorer 480 adds support for graticules and reference grids (U.S. National Grid [USNG], Military Grid Reference System [MGRS]). It also now offers the ability to set raster background transparency, new options for point symbols and symbol size, improved pop-up window capabilities, and easier access to feature attributes.
- Developer SupportThe ArcGIS Explorer Software Developer Kit (SDK) now supports Visual Studio 2008 and includes an updated object model to support new features and enhancements.
- Resource CenterNew tasks, layers, and results are also available from the updated ArcGIS Explorer Resource Center. For example, via the Resource Center, users can now add geotagged photos to ArcGIS Explorer.
- Platform SupportArcGIS Explorer now runs on Windows Vista Service Pack 1.
ArcGIS Explorer is a free, lightweight, downloadable application that can be used to access and fuse local data and imagery with a variety of 2D and 3D mapping services, as well as geoprocessing services for spatial analysis. To download ArcGIS Explorer, visit www.esri.com/arcgisexplorer.