- New, modern user interface makes it easier to access and manage critical information.
- Publish ArcPad projects to ArcGIS Server quickly from a mobile device while in the field.
- ArcPad and ArcPad Application Builder are combined into a single maintenance product.
ArcPad 8 is a significant release of Esri's GIS field mapping and data collection software. In addition to usability and performance enhancements, it offers a number of new features to help users become more efficient with their mobile GIS projects.
ArcPad 8 includes modern icons, updated toolbars, and a new GPS status bar.
Key features of the ArcPad 8 release include
- Ability to Synchronize Edits with ArcGIS ServerThe new ArcGIS Server ArcPad extension allows users to publish an ArcPad project to ArcGIS Server. Any device that can connect to the Internet (by cradle, USB, Wi-Fi, or phone connection) can synchronize ArcPad edits directly with the enterprise geodatabase via ArcGIS Server. Field staff can now share data faster and save time by no longer needing to return to the office to update their GIS database.
- New User InterfaceArcPad 8 has a new look and feel with modern icons and toolbars that use less screen real estate than in previous versions. Toolbars can be docked, minimized, and maximized, and users can either modify the out-of-the-box toolbars or create their own with a new desktop tool called the ArcPad Toolbar Manager. The ArcPad Startup dialog box has been replaced by the Open Map dialog box, which can be used to browse ArcPad maps by list or thumbnail.
- Inclusion of ArcPad Application BuilderThe development framework for customizing ArcPad is now included with every ArcPad license rather than being sold separately.
- Improved GPS User InterfaceThe GPS position dialog box has been replaced by the new GPS status bar, which is a translucent toolbar that appears at the bottom of the map screen. It shows much of the same detail from the previous position dialog box but now uses colored visual cues to indicate the quality of the GPS fix. In addition, more detailed GPS position information can be displayed on the full screen multitab GPS dialog box.
- Enhanced ArcPad Data Manager ExtensionThe ArcPad Data Manager extension now gives users more options when preparing data for ArcPad. New options also allow users to configure an ArcPad project for repeated use with geoprocessing tools or author an ArcPad project for publication to ArcGIS Server and subsequent use in ArcPad.
- StreetMap ImprovementsArcPad 8 StreetMap provides an easier method to find addresses and locations using the new lookup index. In addition to the Tele Atlas/TomTom Premium North American dataset, ArcPad 8 is now bundled with Tele Atlas/TomTom Premium European StreetMap data at no additional cost.
Using ArcPad 8 in the field.
"ArcPad 8 will make field mapping and data collection faster and easier for users," says Jian Lange, Esri product manager for ArcPad.
At version 8, ArcPad will become a maintenance-based product, and ArcPad customers may subscribe to annual maintenance to get updates and technical support.
For more information about ArcPad, visit www.esri.com/arcpad.
Customizing ArcPad Applications for the Utilities Industry
Alan Girten, Project Manager for Utility Data Contractors, discusses the customization of ArcPad for utility inventory and field inspections. Listen to the podcast. [14:28 | 6.66 MB]