Special keynote address, discussion panel, and reception to engage and enlighten scientists
A special Science Symposium will be held in conjunction with the 2016 Esri Education GIS Conference (EdUC) and Esri User Conference (UC). The Science Symposium will include:
- A keynote address by Margaret Leinen, Director of the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, current president of the American Geophysical Union, and a US State Department Science Envoy.
- A conversational reaction panel of GIScientists moderated by Mike Goodchild (UCSB Geography emeritus) with John Wilson (USC Spatial Sciences Institute), Marco Painho (U. Nova de Lisboa Geography), Ming Tsou (San Diego State Geography), and Cyrus Shahabi (USC Computer Science).
- Audience Q/A and discussion.
- Networking reception: Enjoy stunning views of the San Diego Harbor, delicious appetizers, and a hosted bar of beer, wine, soft drinks, and bottled water.
This new event at the UC and EdUC seeks to “broaden the tent” of participation beyond the traditional geographers and GIScientists, to those working in the domain sciences (e.g., ocean science, hydrology, ecology, forestry, climate science, geology/geophysics, agricultural science, conservation biology, sustainability science and/or geodesign, health sciences, and the social sciences). A further aim is to strengthen the links between Esri and the scientific community while (re)crystallizing a community of scientists at the UC normally scattered throughout the week in disparate sessions.
The event will be held Tuesday, June 28 from 3:15-5:30 pm in the Marriott Marina Salons E and F and is open to registered attendees of both the EdUC and UC. For more information contact Esri Chief Scientist Dawn Wright or visit the event web site.
Recap [added 6 July 2016]:
- Keynote of Dr. Margaret Leinen, Director of Scripps Institution of Oceanography and President of the American Geophysical Union at esriurl.com/sci2016. Her keynote was entitled, “What will be necessary to understand and protect the planet… and us?”
- Some great photos of the keynoter and the discussion panelists at esriurl.com/sciphotos
- A Twitter stream of reactions during the keynote, discussion panel, audience Q&A, and reception on Storify
Next year we will field a new GIScience panel to respond to a new domain science keynote which will be delivered by Jon Foley, Executive Director of the California Academy of Sciences, possibly in tandem with his new Chief of Science, Shannon Bennett.