A path traversal vulnerability exists in Esri ArcGIS Earth versions 1.11.0 and below which allows arbitrary file creation on an affected system through crafted input. An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to gain arbitrary code execution under security context of the user running ArcGIS Earth by inducing the user to upload a crafted file to an affected system.
- Do not accept or open files or attachments unexpectedly received from others.
- Follow the principle of least privileges when allocating OS accounts. Do not grant desktop users local administrator rights.
Esri has released an update for ArcGIS Earth that resolves this high-risk vulnerability here.
Common Vulnerability Scoring System (CVSS v3.1) Details
7.8 Base Score, 7.0 Temporal Score
- Exploit Code Maturity: Proof-of-Concept
- Remediation Level: Official Fix Available
- Report Confidence: Confirmed by Esri
We provide the temporal score in addition to the base score to allow our customers to better assess risk of this vulnerability to their operations. Please see Common Vulnerability Scoring System for more information on the definition of these metrics.
- rgod working with Trend Micro Zero Day Initiative