If you attended the 2015 User Conference you probably saw a demonstration of this prototype of the upcoming Story Map Cascade app during the plenary or one of the Story Maps workshops. There are several screenshots below, but to truly get a feel for what this app will be like click the image below to browse the live story on your own (keeping in mind this is an early prototype!).
There are many scrolling and parallax stories on the web today, but most of them are custom made. A web developer and/or designer typically spends a good amount time formatting each story and making it look good. Like other Story Map apps, the new Cascade app will be configurable so that anyone, not just developers and designers, can use it to make beautiful web stories with your ArcGIS Online maps and scenes.
As you scroll through sections you’ll feel immersed in the story…
Cascade will share many of the familiar features of other ArcGIS Story Map apps, but also deliver new features and a new story experience.
- Fully integrated with ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS
- Use Esri’s hosted app or download the app and host your own
- Open-source code so developers can customize the experience
- Familiar “Builder Mode” for easy configuration
- Embed other types of Story Maps such as Swipe or Series
- Organize and navigate your story in chapters
- Immersive, full-window videos and images
- Interactive web maps and scenes from ArcGIS Online
- Blocks of text smoothly slide over background images/video
- Choose from many built-in animations, layouts and themes
- Manage your Cascade stories with My Stories
Story Map Cascade is scheduled to be released in 2016.