New data for Canada! The 2018 demographic update from Environics Analytics incorporates the new 2016 Census data as its base. This is notable for a couple of reasons.
First… While most of the themes present in prior years are still available, some are no longer available and new themes are added. The following themes are no longer present for Census year: Single Year by Age and Sex; Households by Living Arrangement; and Religion. (Note that the Religion data is still available for current year.) The following themes are new for Census year: Condo Status; Mobility 5-year Status.
Second, the 2018 Canada demographics will be released in two phases. In the first phase in September 2018, the GeoEnrichment Service, Business Analyst, Community Analyst, Maps for Office, etc… will be updated with:
- DemoStats – demographic estimates, as of July 1, for 2013, 2018, 2021, 2023, and 2028 (families by structure, population by age, educational attainment, labour force, mother tongue, immigrants and place of birth, minority status, household type, household income, household size, dwellings by structure type and tenure, marital status, children at home, method of travel to work*, occupation*, place of work*, religion*, dwellings by construction*) (*current year only)
- Daytime Population – current year estimates of the population during daytime hours
- CensusPlus – a selection of Census 2016 variables (families by size and structure, condo status, detailed language and mother tongue, population by age, household income, household type, household size, marital status, dwellings by construction, structure type, and tenure, and children at home)
- HouseholdSpend – current year estimates of annual expenditures in 20 categories (select items in the Recreation and Transportation spending categories will be released at a later date)
- PRIZM5 – current year lifestyle segmentation system that classifies Canada neighborhoods into 68 unique segments.
In the second phase (Q4 2018), the GeoEnrichment Service, Business Analyst, Community Analyst, Maps for Office, etc… will be updated with:
- CensusPlus – Aboriginal identity, official language spoken, labour force, mobility status, educational attainment, citizenship, immigration, minority status, place of birth
- HouseholdSpend – select items in the Recreation and Transportation spending categories
The premium Canada demographic maps in the Living Atlas will be updated with the 2018 data in Q4 2018.
You can view a complete list of the Canada data variables and the release in which they are included. For more information about the methodology behind this data, you can access Release Notes, Technical Documents, and other resources on the Canada documentation page.