Camera systems can help make homes and businesses safer. This technology has become cheaper and more accessible to consumers than ever before. As these systems multiply, they have become an important tool for capturing evidence of criminal activity in our communities. But with so many cameras it can be hard for police to know where these cameras are located or who to contact for access.
Camera registration programs are a new initiative many police departments are introducing to enlist the communities help in crime fighting activities. These programs allow citizens and businesses to register their surveillance cameras with the local police department. Registration in these programs gives police permission to access footage from these cameras if a crime takes place nearby, which can provide much needed evidence in support of investigations.
Registering a camera does not provide police remote accessed to the camera or a live video feed, but it does give them a good database of security cameras in the area without having to go door to door to solicit this information.
By using the Survey123 for ArcGIS, police departments are easily able to setup a voluntary camera registration form that citizens can use to share the location, characteristics and contact information of private surveillance systems.
There is a growing number of organizations leveraging Survey123 to support Voluntary Camera Registration programs. For example:
Here are some reasons why you should consider building your Voluntary Camera Registration forms using Survey123:
- It’s easy: Building your own form is not rocket science. Using the Survey123 web designer, you can visually drag and drop questions and content into your own form design, right from your web browser. You can get started without much literature and quickly grow your skills.
- It’s secure: Data submitted through your own form can be easily secured, preventing unauthorized access. You can choose to keep this data private, so only you can access it, or share it with specific people within your organization.
- It’s reliable: Survey123 forms are hosted in ArcGIS Online or your own ArcGIS Enterprise instance. They are extremely lightweight and reliable, eliminating maintenance headaches.
- Works everywhere: Survey123 forms run on any browser, from a mobile device, laptop or desktop. You can share your forms using social media, email campaigns or links in a website.
- Puts your data in a map: Last, but not least, Survey123 forms will let you get all registered cameras mapped in an instant, so you can later easily find out what cameras exist in the vicinity of a crime scene or along escape routes.
If you are ready to give this a go, the How to Create a Voluntary Registration Form step by step guide in GeoNet provides all the details you need to get started.