The file regESRIRegASM.dll is being incorrectly being flagged as being infected by a small number of Anti-virus products for ArcGIS Desktop 10.6. We have already confirmed this as a false positive with the Anti-virus vendors and are waiting for them to update their signature lists. The file is found in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ArcGIS\bin
Most AV scanners do not flag the file as suspicious, which can be confirmed on the VirusTotal website here:
Notes (Updated 8/10/18):
- This issue represents a false positive. This DLL is *NOT* malware.
- There was some incorrect information posted to the web that this issue affects 10.6.1. The false positive alerts are only for ArcGIS Desktop 10.6
- McAfee whitelisted the relevant files on 8/10 and will no longer alert with a false positive
- Some less frequently used AV products continue to alert with false positives – We have notified them of the issue. An immediate resolution for our customers is to update to 10.6.1.
- Esri Software Security & Privacy