This Pharmacy Desert analysis increases awareness of an often-overlooked healthcare access issue: that many Americans across the country lack basic access to pharmacies. We aim to identify those communities and publicize how geography can contribute to public health concerns. Our Pharmacy Desert analysis identifies multiple locations in the United States where pharmacy resources are severely deficient and may constitute a significant barrier to care for millions of Americans.
Specifically, this data layer includes:
- The pharmacy locations throughout the U.S.
- The count of pharmacies by County throughout the U.S.
Additional data layers available upon request include:
- The count of pharmacies by distance (e.g., 5 miles, 10 miles, 50 miles) to population centers.
- The count of pharmacies by population (per 10,000 people) throughout the U.S.
- The average driving distance from population centers to the nearest pharmacy, throughout the U.S.
- Health equity implications of pharmacy deserts.
All of the above data layers and analysis are available at the state or regional levels. Customized analyses of pharmacy deserts can also be performed to meet specific needs.
This analysis, part of our wider Care Desert Initiative series, is a first and important step in increasing the awareness of our policy makers to this often, under publicized problem. HSR.health hopes to lead the way in revealing how our geography can contribute to both health problems and likewise, health solutions.
- Situational Awareness
- Facility Management
- Market and Customer Analysis
- Health and Human Services
Jun 7, 2022