Gujarat Gas Improves Decision-Making with Esri's Web GIS System
Gujarat Gas Ltd. (GGL) is a leading natural gas provider in India serving more than 10,000,000 customers across 14 geographic areas. The company oversees the gas pipeline network and asset management and field operations to reach out to every natural gas user in targeted geographic areas. The manual management of millions of gas pipelines was proving to be a big challenge for the GGL team.
As geographic information system (GIS) applications provide data specifications through an intuitive map interface, Esri India proposed a web-based ArcGIS application to GGL. The aim was to enable the company to access network information in real time. The solution helped GGL streamline field operations and expedite decision-making.
Esri's ArcGIS application supported GGL's business operations with well-ordered and on-time network planning, compliance, and maintenance. As a result, GGL was able to efficiently manage gas workflows to handle everyday business operations.
GGL wanted to enhance gas distribution planning through real-time decision-making. The company needed a technically advanced solution that would enable it to
- Undertake emergency resource planning to accelerate its response to a gas leak.
- Immediately execute a customer evacuation plan.
- Identify affected customers quickly.
- Undertake incident management involving the repair and maintenance of existing assets.
- Improve gas distribution services over the expanded geographic areas.
- Speed up gas distribution operations across the state through instant decision-making.
- Increase the number of satisfied customers.
- Access a customer information system to improve profiling, visualize customer demographics, and develop better business insights.
Esri India introduced an enterprise-level Web GIS system that allowed GGL to manage assets, distribute natural gas in different customer locations, and make better decisions for emergency resource planning (ERP) and incident management. The application enabled GGL to perform geospatial queries and create reports. It helped GGL rapidly deliver essential workflows and improve data-sharing capabilities through a centralized database.
GGL's decision-makers were able to process network-enabled GIS and non-GIS data for asset management and instant problem solving. They followed Web GIS best practices to accomplish accurate decision-making.
Esri ArcGIS provided GGL with a ready-to-deploy mapping application that offered map-based insights. The solution enabled GGL to undertake network planning, compliance, and maintenance of its natural gas pipeline network. ArcGIS Solutions for Gas Utilities enabled GGL to
- Improve gas transmission and distribution by using powerful tools and intuitive digital maps.
- Display all Internet data on a single interface.
- Identify affected people and areas during a gas pipeline explosion or other emergencies.
- Perform instant customer tracking.
- Rapidly mobilize and respond promptly to emergencies.
- Access high-resolution imagery for periodic site surveys.
- Maintain a better pipeline route plan.Track valuable assets.
- Generate detailed reports for better asset management.
The final system was integrated with our ERP solution to enable better business planning, outage management and to support our field force requirements; preparing our organization for the next level—mobile GIS.