KCI traces its corporate history to a Baltimore firm founded in 1955. In the early 1970s, the firm, along with a number of other privately held engineering companies, joined Kidde, Inc. and became known in 1978 as Kidde Consultants, Inc. During the 1980s, Kidde Consultants opened additional offices in Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and Pennsylvania. In August 1987, Hanson Trust, PLC of Great Britain - a manufacturing company with diversified holdings worldwide - purchased Kidde, Inc. Soon after, Kidde Consultants initiated negotiations with Hanson for an employee buyout, which was completed in December 1988 and created Maryland’s largest employee-owned company. The firm officially changed its name to KCI Technologies, Inc. in 1991 and is headquartered in Sparks, Maryland. With revenues of $124 million in 2010, KCI is ranked 82nd among the top consulting engineering firms in the country by the Engineering News-Record. Today, the employee-owned, multidiscipline engineering firm employs approximately 850 people operating in 22 offices in 13 states.