Story maps combine one or more web maps with narrative text, great images, and multimedia content to tell stories about neighborhoods, communities, nations, and the world using the common visual language of geography.
Your story could showcase your organization's plans or projects, educate people about an issue, or fire up your non-profit's supporters. Or it could be a personal story, such as sharing a place you love. The possibilities are endless. What's your story?
Need inspiration? Start at the Esri Story Maps Gallery to see some great examples, handpicked by the Esri Story Maps team, highlighting creative approaches and best practices. You can filter and search the gallery to check out how authors have handled subjects and information that may be similar to yours.
Every day people all over the world are composing insightful new story maps. In fact, you might not believe it, but around 1000 new story maps are being created each day. Now’s the time to get your creative mapping juices flowing, make one for yourself, and share it with the world in our Esri Storytelling with Maps Contest.
Everything is fair game—story maps you’ve already created or brand spankin’ new story maps. Use any of the Esri Story Map apps. Feel free to customize the apps too. Entries will be judged on how effectively they make the subject matter interesting, understandable, and engaging.
View the full judging criteria [PDF}.
It's super simple to create a Story Map. You can do it in just 5 minutes. (Really.)
How big are these prizes? You could win a GoPro camera, or a drone and a Drone2Map for ArcGIS license!
Esri will provide first, second, and third place prizes in these categories:
- Best Conservation, Environment, and Sustainability Story Map
- Best Travel, Destinations, and Recreation Story Map
- Best Culture, History, and Events Story Map
- Best Science, Technology, and Education Story Map
- Best Infrastructure, Planning, and Government Story Map
One grand prize will be awarded to the Best Overall Story Map submission chosen by the contest judges. Winners will receive:
- Grand Prize/Best Overall: A drone and a one-year license of Drone2Map for ArcGIS for one user + plaque + certificate
- First prize: One (1) GoPro camera + plaque + certificate
- Second prize: (1) Esri Press book of choice + plaque + certificate
- Third prize: (1) Esri Press book of choice + plaque + certificate
The winning Story Maps will be featured at the Esri User Conference, where more than 15,000 of our users come together to share ideas and do their part to transform our world.
See the full terms and conditions for further information.