A new version of SDEMonitor, the utility that lets systems administrators monitor the activities of any ArcSDE server on a network, has been released and can be downloaded from the Esri ArcScripts Web site. At version 3, SDEMonitor has been completely rewritten using Microsoft Visual C# and the .NET Framework. When SDEMonitor is running, each monitor session is multithreaded and all calls to the ArcSDE C-API are multithreaded. Multithreading protects each session and allows a session to recover from failed or hung process calls. SDEMonitor can also now be installed and run as a Windows service.
Improved reporting, administration, communication, and automation tools help a systems administrator optimally manage ArcSDE. This release of SDEMonitor features the following enhancements.
- Long-term and interval connection activity is graphed by process, database user, client system, client system type; and on a serverwide basis. This function tracks and displays statistics such as the number of connections, features read and written, lock counts, and network buffer usage over time.
- The Idle Time display shows how long a process has been idle and the average time it has been idle.
- An administrator can send immediate or timely messages to a connection based on process, database user, client system, client system type; or on a serverwide basis so that clients can be notified when necessary. Advanced warnings can be sent to users when the database or ArcSDE instance must be administered.
- HTML-based timed reports of instance status can be written to a Web server accessible location so that any user with access rights can check on the current state of any ArcSDE instance.
- Remote administration of an ArcSDE instance allows the administrator to remotely view log files or edit the ArcSDE instance configuration files on a Windows and UNIX platform using a single interface. ArcSDE instances can be started, stopped, and paused.
- Administrators can use SDEMonitor to limit or restrict access to ArcSDE. A monitor session can automatically kill unauthorized systems that connect to ArcSDE and limit the number of connections a specific system can have at any one time. This feature can be used to trim stale connections.
- The Alert Notification feature can warn an administrator about a system problem before it impacts users or during a crisis.
This utility can be downloaded at no charge from www.esri.com/arcscripts. Esri assumes no responsibility for problems encountered directly or indirectly through the use of this product. SDEMonitor is an unsupported program made available for the convenience of Esri software users.