The Esri Live Feeds team has just released a new layer and added it to the ArcGIS Online Living Atlas, and also made some improvements to existing layers. In this post we will provide an overview of the updates.
USA Weather Warnings and Watches have been added to the collection. This layer contains real-time warnings, watches, and advisories from the National Weather Service. There is some extra processing that is done to dissolve the polygons in to single warnings, watches, or advisories based on their unique ID. The overlays of the various zones are provided for reference. There is also a set of layers based on the severity type.
Wind Probability was added to Active Hurricanes. This update adds data showing wind speed probabilities for tropical storm force (34 knots), strong tropical storm force (50 knots), and hurricane force winds (64 knots plus). Observations from buoys have been added to the Current Wind and Weather conditions layer. This adds additional observations from the network of buoys via NOAA’s National Data Buoy Center.
These updates join an existing collection of Live Feeds which include:
- Current Wind and Weather Conditions (global) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=29d3ea0ef52a43abab68be309479f2ac
- Storm Reports (US) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=bd0375ee649b4a06804bd21ccf6c280f
- Active Hurricanes / Tropical Cyclones (global) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=5b84e159dace4bf8ad9e9154085ba45d
- Recent Hurricanes / Tropical Cyclones (global) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=b065ab28cd054eddb8a08058d13e6a33
- Wildfires (US) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=4d63f7de557c4a69bab44c376c0d3565
- Hot Spots (Global) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=44534f45c6bf49d8a6d7455b904e77b8
- Earthquakes (Global) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=af7568d8579048f7b42e534891824029
- Stream Gauges (US) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d3aba6b6448e4149b6447a2f6155b573
- Short-term weather warnings (US) – http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=dab741e00de34746a931d44c695b301c
Note that these feeds are included with your ArcGIS Online for organization subscription. No credits are used for accessing this information and displaying these layers in apps. Note there are a couple of extra steps to go through if you want to share this information with the public and those steps are outlined here.
As a reminder, please make sure to update the sources of your live feeds and remove references to tmservices1.esri.com as those services will be retired at the end of the year. Those feeds either have been or will be migrated to ArcGIS Online.