The ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World provides access to a large collection of data and location services published by Esri and many other organizations. This Living Atlas content is accessible to ArcGIS Online users, and other ArcGIS users with access to the public Internet. In some cases, ArcGIS users desire access to this content for use on a private network, hosted on-premises behind their firewall. This may be for business reasons (e.g. enhanced privacy or security, fixed costs) or technical reasons (e.g. enhanced performance, direct access to data for analysis).
Many of the most popular data sets that Esri makes available online through the Living Atlas are also available to ArcGIS users for on-premises deployment. In some cases, these data sets are available as part of stand-alone product offerings that users may license separately. In other cases, they are included with ArcGIS software that users have already licensed. Below is a “cheat sheet” that summarizes Living Atlas content from Esri that is currently available for on-premises use and the option(s) available.
|Living Atlas Content or Capability||Product Offering(s)|
|Basemaps (including new Vector Basemaps)||Data Appliance for ArcGIS|
|Imagery (including ‘Wayback’ versions 1)||Data Appliance for ArcGIS|
|Places Geocoding||Data Appliance for ArcGIS|
|Address and Places Geocoding||World Geocoder for ArcGIS, Street Map Premium for ArcGIS|
|Routing and Directions||Street Map Premium for ArcGIS|
|Street Map Data||Street Map Premium for ArcGIS, Esri Data & Maps|
|Elevation Data (including 2D and 3D)||Data Appliance for ArcGIS, Esri Data & Maps|
|Boundaries Data (e.g. country, admin, postal)||ArcGIS Enterprise, Esri Data & Maps|
|Demographic and Lifestyle Data||ArcGIS Business Analyst, Esri Data & Maps|
|Water Data||Esri Data & Maps|
|Soils Data||SSURGO Downloader|
|Other Data 2||TBD|
- Wayback imagery is not included in the standard Data Appliance offerings but could be provided in a custom solution.
- Additional Living Atlas content may be available to deploy on-premises upon request.
Below are a few additional details on each of the product offerings mentioned above, with links to access the data or learn more.
- Data Appliance for ArcGIS: the Data Appliance provides a hardware plus data solution that enables organizations to quickly publish terabytes of Esri basemaps and related content (e.g. elevation data, places locator) on their private networks. Esri delivers the data on a network attached storage (NAS) device that can be connected directly to a private network to publish map tile services using ArcGIS Enterprise. The Data Appliance now also includes Esri Vector Basemaps, which have a much smaller footprint and can be published using Enterprise Portal in many styles.
- World Geocoder for ArcGIS: the World Geocoder is a software plus data solution that enables organizations to publish a world geocoding service that supports the same powerful capabilities available through ArcGIS Online on their private network. In just a few days, Esri consulting staff can deploy the solution on the organization’s own hardware to enable multiple forms of geocoding (e.g. interactive, batch, reverse) with ArcGIS software (e.g. Enterprise and Pro) as well as other custom apps. This solution if optimal for users that need worldwide or multi-region geocoding capabilities.
- StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS: StreetMap Premium is a ready-to-use street dataset that is optimized to support mapping, geocoding, and routing capabilities in ArcGIS software (i.e. both Enterprise and Desktop). StreetMap Premium includes all the map documents, locator files, and network datasets needed to quickly and easily access these capabilities. It is available for multiple regions, including North America, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific, and Japan. This data product is optimal for ArcGIS users that need high-quality street data for mapping, geocoding, or routing capabilities for a specific country or region.
- Esri Data & Maps: Data & Maps has been available to ArcGIS uses for over twenty years and is still available today, though in a different form. Data & Maps is intended to help jumpstart some of your GIS projects with foundational data and maps (e.g. world countries, cities, and time zones) that you can use in ArcGIS. Data & Maps layers can now be downloaded from ArcGIS Online as individual layer packages so you can get the latest versions of layers you need when you need them. This data product is optimal for users that need individual data layers.
- ArcGIS Enterprise: ArcGIS Enterprise users are entitled to download and publish a rich set of Esri Boundary layers for connected use within their Enterprise environment. Esri software users connected to the Enterprise Portal can use the boundary layers for visualization and analysis. Boundary layers are available for about 130 countries. The Portal administrators can download the boundary layers as service definition (.sd) files from My Esri and use provided tools to publish feature layers using these files.
- ArcGIS Business Analyst: Business Analyst provides access to much of the demographic, lifestyle, behavioral, and spending data that is available as premium content in the Living Atlas. Business Analyst is available through Web, Desktop, and Enterprise environments so you can pick the option that is best suited for your organization. Each of the options provides access to business and demographic data from industry-leading vendors, with the sources and depth of data varying by country.
- SSURGO Downloader: The SSURGO Downloader is a web application that enables users to quickly access and download Soil Survey Geographic Database (SSURGO) data by soil mapunits. The data is delivered in a map package that you can use in various ArcGIS applications, such as ArcGIS Pro. SSURGO Downloader is a great example of a web app that has been designed to provide direct access to the source data that has also been published to the Living Atlas as ready-to-use services and layers.
If you’d like to learn more about one of the options above, or have a suggestion for other Living Atlas content that you’d like to see made available for on-premises use, please contact your Esri account manager or send a note to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.