Industry Manager—Law Enforcement
Mr. Beck joined Esri as the law enforcement specialist in September 2011 and recently promoted to manager in 2014. He has extensive knowledge of ArcGIS tools, technologies and best practices, and how they apply to the law enforcement mission, from initial report to case closure. Areas of responsibility include both strategic and tactical crime analysis, the use of GIS in the corrections environment, as well as the many practical field applications of GIS for the street cop. Geospatial intelligence is vital to the mission of police agencies worldwide and Mr. Beck uses his knowledge and experience in law enforcement to assist agencies in this mission.
- Six years as a deputy sheriff with the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office in Reno, Nevada.
- Three years as a crime analyst and crime mapper with Washoe County Sheriff’s Office.
- Assumed a lead role in implementing the Data-Driven Approaches to Crime and Traffic Safety (DDACTS) program in Washoe County, one of seven national pilot sites for this NIJ sponsored program.
- Assisted in the development and launch of a Compstat style management program within the Washoe County Sheriff’s Office. This program helped reduce crime and improve problem solving through intelligence-led policing.
- Part of a team that produced a weekly Tactical Crime Analysis Report (TCAR), which analyzed and shared information on developing crime trends within Washoe County as well as regionally.
- Used GIS technology to create interactive desktop and web mapping applications for patrol operations and for facility management in the correctional setting.
- Master of Arts in criminal justice from the University of Nevada, Reno where he wrote and published a thesis titled The Effects of Directed Patrols in Unincorporated Areas.
- Bachelor of Arts in geography from the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Bachelor of Arts in anthropology from the University of Nevada, Reno.
- Nevada POST certified law enforcement instructor.
- International Association of Chiefs of Police
- National Sheriff’s Association
- International Association of Crime Analysts
- International Association of Law Enforcement Intelligence Analysts
- California Crime & Intelligence Analysts Associations
- Nevada Geographic Information Society